|All of the dogs are victims of abuse and starvation. Most of them, thankfully, are making greatly progress and are rapidly returning to health. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers. ♥|
A truck load of dogs (about 200) was stopped by activists in Kunming earlier today! All the dogs are cramped in tiny cages. They are sick, injured and some of them have already died. There are only about 10 activists on scene at the moment, more are rushing there. Local Police dept and the Animal Inspection dept are also on scene. The authorities have given two options to the traders: 1. Hand the dogs over to the activists. 2. Take the dogs back to where the truck came from. The traders have chosen to take all of the dogs back. The activists disagree with the outcome, because everyone knows that all of the dogs will die if they let the dogs leave with the traders. Negotiations between the activists and traders have come to a deadlock.
4.8 MONDAY Update 1:-
4/8 MONDAY UPDATE 2:-
Okay people, this is intense…
It is already midnight there in China. The volunteers are still on scene and protecting the dogs from the traders.
It has been about 20 hours since the truck was stopped.
A lot more traders and their gangster accomplices have arrived on scene, including the head trader. They are very violent and have gotten physical with the volunteers. They have also continuously threatened the volunteers. They told all of the volunteers that they had better to “be careful” as they will all be “taken care of”. More gangster accomplices are believed to come on scene.
With the presence of the local police force, the volunteers are currently unhurt. However, the on scene activists are still taking an extreme caution just to stay safe. They always stay in a group to prevent attacks from the traders, even when going to the bathroom.
There is an urgent call out online for reinforcements to come to the front line.
|Volunteers are setting up tents for the night. With no doubt that it is going to be a difficult and long night…|
|All of the dogs are in an extreme critical condition.
More dogs are dying as times goes by.
Please pray for them..
|The woman with the hat is the head trader. She is one crazy monster.
The man in blue is violent and has threatened volunteers. He said to the volunteers that “none of them will get away with this”
4/8 MONDAY UPDATE 3:
It’s early morning now in Kunming China. The situation is NOT getting better. There are only 5 female volunteers against more than 30 vicious traders and their gangster accomplices. The girls have blocked the truck from driving away with their car.
There is an urgent online call out for more volunteers to rush to the scene. I pray for reinforcements to arrive soon!
PLEASE post your picture with the posters to show your support! We need to all unite and fight with them in spirit!
4/9 Tuesday Update 1:
okay morning people, i’ve just got up of the bed.
Good news and bad news. The good news is that there arr more volunteer on scene(about 15 of them). it is 6:50pm in Kunming and most people have got off work. therefore, more volunteers are rushing to the scene. Also, caring people from all over the nation have been keeping up the great pressure on the local gov officials by calling responsible depts. What the traders are doing are illegal even according to the existing Chinese laws. The front line volunteers and the off-scene reinforcements are working together restlessly to force the gov officials to release the dogs from the trader. but this needs to happen soon.
The bad news is the dogs are getting weaker, they are dying. Whatever needs to happen to save the dogs, needs to happen soon.
4/9 Tuesday Update 2:
The situation is bad…
The traders are aggressive and ruthless.
The local authorities have not only backed away from helping the activists, but also started to lend their helping hands to the traders.
The local media outlets are also slandering and discrediting the activists for what they are doing…
They are blaming the activists for the poor conditions that the dogs in. They claimed that the dogs have only gotten sick and died because of the activists stopped the truck and won’t let go of the dogs.
Even one of the local TV stations suggested that the true purpose of the activists’s act is not to save the dogs, but to sell them afterwards or somehow make money off them.
4/9 Tuesday Update 3:
The authorities haven’t been very helpful still. The responsible officials have been avoiding people’s phone calls and questions.
The volunteers were even not allowed to give water or food to the dogs. The traders threatened to rather kill all the dogs than hand them to the volunteers
This whole thing is utter savage and absurd.
4/9 Tuesday Update 4:
It’s 4am in Kunming China (Apr. 10th). It has been an extremely difficult day for the front line activists
Police force left long time ago. The on scene activists have been taking extra caution all night for their own safety as well as the dogs’
It is going to be a crucial day for this fight when the sun comes up in few hours, as the shameless “Animal Health Certificate” of all of the dogs is expired on Apr 10th.
4/9 Tuesday Update 5:
I have received the following question from some of our supporters: Can we just buy all of the dogs from the money thirst vicious dog smugglers? This is always the question the animal rights activists in China ask themselves in every rescue.
The volunteers have considered just buying all of the dogs. However, they have now decided not to negotiate with the smugglers to purchase the dogs. The main reasons are:
1. The smugglers are asking for an absurd amount of money – almost $21,000USD for all of the dogs, many of which have already died or have very slim chances of survival even after being rescued. The smugglers are also demanding compensation for their monetary loss of this cargo caused by the activists’ “illegal actions”. They are blaming all of the activists for the sickness and death of the dogs. And the shameless authorities and news outlets have sided with the traders!
2. The activists, however, are generally trying to use money as a last resort to get the dogs. When all else fails, they are always willing to purchase the dogs if it is the only way to ensure that they would be rescued. There are unfortunately many, many trucks all over the country almost everyday. If we always resort to money then this will only further encourage the traders to steal/trap dogs in the hopes that they will be bought by people wishing to rescue them. Its a viscous circle that we are trying to break.
There have been debate among the activists whether they should buy all the dogs. I think in the end, most of them decided that they are going to continue the fight for the long term goals of the fight for animals rights. This has been an absolutely heart-wrenchingly difficult decision for them to make and for everyone else to live with. In spite of money being taken off the table, the fight for these dogs is still by no means over. The people on scene are committed to doing all that they can for as long as they can, most likely until they are arrested.
In spite of this potentially difficult news, please do not lose hope. We still desperately need your continued support. Most of you would not believe the huge impact that your daily words and messages have on the hearts of those who are fighting on the front lines to change the lives of all animals in China. There have already been terrible losses of innocent lives in this campaign, and there will surely be more before it is over. Nonetheless, we stand closer today to making true, lasting change than ever before. We cannot give up. Ever.
4/10 Wednesday Update 1:
Today might be the last day the activists have the chance to rescue these poor dogs, although the chances of winning is getting slimmer as we speak…Despite the fact that we might be fighting a losing battle, they activists have not given up.
Most of the volunteers had to go back to their regular jobs as the day started. Again, there are only 4 volunteers and one car on scene right now to stop the traders from leaving with the dogs. Off-site activists have been calling responsible gov officials and also visiting them. More people will be going to the front line.
The local authorities have been leaning more towards the side of the traders. They have been pressing the volunteers to come up with a “solution” – suggesting that only way the volunteers can have the dogs are paying traders total of almost $21,000USD for all of the dogs PLUS their business loss.
The local news outlets have also been leaning even more towards the side of evil… We can no longer count on the shady shameless Chinese media outlets now, as all they have been doing is slandering and discrediting the rescue effort.
Please keep on contacting everyone, every media outlet, every organization you know that may help the situation. Hang in there people!
4/10 Wednesday Update 2:
The police dept is now completely on the side the traders. They have presented 2 options to the activists:
1. Buy all of the dogs, and they are asking for almost $21,000USD
2. Let the traders go with the dogs, PLUS give the traders compensation for their “business loss”.
The activists demanded the police dept comply with the Chinese Animal Quarantine Law, food safety law and animal transportation law. The police dept refused to do so. Yes you heard it right, the POLICE aka the LAW ENFORCER refused to comply with the law! They took 3 volunteers to their local police station to “work out” a solution. Before they went into a room, the police asked the volunteers to hand over their cell phones and made sure that they were not attempting to record anything. They made the following comments to the activists:
“Let’s put the laws and regulations and such aside. We are not NOT talking about complying with any LAWS with you, we are here only to discuss deals now.”
“You people have nothing better to do than cause problems for those “farmers” and us.”
On top of all this, the police have become very aggressive towards the volunteers. They have now officially and shamelessly become ONE of the thugs.
The challenge that this rescue has been facing is that we need more people at the front line.
4/10 Wednesday Update 3:
4/10 Wednesday Update 4:
4/10 Wednesday Update 5:
4/11 Thursday Update
4/13 Saturday Update
- The An’ning police dept has detained one of the volunteers’ car. the police is forcing the volunteers to pay all of the money today, otherwise they will confiscate the car. The volunteers requested to wait until their attorney is present. te request was ignored. instead, the police again threatened them with the Yixin shelter. the volunteers felt like they were again cornered. they are trying to at least obtain something written from the police to keep a record of this “deal” .
- The Yixin volunteers have also set up an online fundraiser campaign in china. it has, however, been hacked several times. te link has been forced taken down few times due to the attack. Fortunately, the shelter was still able to raise a substantial amount of money (about $4,300).
- I’ve shared the FACLC fundraiser campaign’s recent statues and activities on Weibo (Chinese version of twitter)。 the post has gone viral.the shelter, the volunteers, and many people saw the news are extremely grateful and moved. they responded “thank you for the love and support from our international friends”. love knows no nationalily.
- I’m in the process of wiring $4,000 of the collected fund made via FACLC Fundrazr to the shelter. it will take 2-3 business days for the money from paypal to be transfered. i will post any updates here on the page.
- Very sadly, the 4.7 kunming rescue has recieved many negative reponses from the general public in china. The main reason is that all of the local media outlets have been “instructed” and “ordered” to slander and discredit the rescue. the rescue efforts have been labeled as illegal actions. the volunteers have been labeled as criminals and scammers. the dog smugglersare believed be the legal owners of all of the dogs. the smuggling has been considered lawful. the full truck load of sick AND dead dogs has been believed to meet the Animal Health and safety code. The vounteers and their actions were questioned and even verbally attacked by a lot of people.
- The volunters and the shelter have been having an extremely difficult time to find an attorney who is willing to represent them, because no one has the balls to go against the chinese government. the volunteers hope they can find someone from outside of kunming to argue their case.
4/16 Tuesday Update:
All of the Yixin volunteers have been extremely busy with taking care of all of their animals. They haven’t had much time to post many updates on their social media site. I’ve just now briefly talked to some of the Yixin volunteers, as I didn’t want to take up so much of their time.
All of the 4/7 Kunming Rescue dogs are now pretty well settled in the temporary location where they have been quarantined. The Yixin volunteers vaccinated 50 dogs yesterday, and will continue to vaccinate more today. Tragically, two dogs have passed away since the rescue…RIP. In comparison to previous mass rescues, however, this one has seen far fewer fatalities. One of the regular volunteers at Yixin told me that he buried over 40 dogs in his last rescue mission. He couldn’t continue the conversation after he told me that. Another girl told me, that she never would have thought that the first time in her life to use a shovel and dig a hole , would be to bury puppies that were beaten to death… :’(
All of the dogs are victims of abuse and starvation. Most of them, thankfully, are making greatly progress and are rapidly returning to health. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers. ♥
What You Can Do to Help the animals in China RIGHT NOW
There was a $40USD fixed bank fee charged for the international wire transfer.
I will post the receipt that will be provided by the Yixin Shelter after they receive the donation.
Thank you again everyone for your love and support. I continue to be blown away every time I see these numbers. Reporting on these stories and rescues is always very hard on my heart. When I see how quickly all of you have come together to support animals in China and the small group of activists trying to save them, however, I am always rewarded with a genuine smile and a reason to have real hope. I thank you all, with all of my heart.
Bank Name: Commercial Bank of China – Kunming Xinwen Road Branch(工商银行昆明新闻路支行）
Account Number: 6222 0225 0201 4939 295
Account Name: Xin GUO (郭欣)Swiftcode: ICBKCNBJYUNXin GUO’s Tel: +86-138-8836-7346
Bank’s Tel: 0871-414-2553
Bank Add: 308 Xinwen Road, Kunming, Yunnan, China
2. SEND THIS STORY TO ALL YOUR NATIONAL NEWSPAPERS, TV NETWORKS AND SHARE WITH EVERYONE!
1. How we were able to closely follow what’s happening with the rescue in real time without any delay, despite the Chinese government’s internet censorship and blockage.
2. How we were able to be actually part of the rescue and really make difference for the rescue and the frontline activists ( Financial aid: a substantial amount of donations raised quickly; emotional support for the Chinese activists when everything was working against them; our supportive poster message campaign; etc.). They can use their article as a chance to ask the questions has anyone (non-Chinese) ever had a chance or avenue to be involved in a social movement in China in a such an intimate way?
3. Talk about what you learnt about the Chinese animal rights movement, the activists and the An’ning authorities from this rescue. Not only that you learnt things that you never knew before about what’s really going in China, but that you were able to immerse yourself first hand.
3. SIGN THE PETITIONS!
Please sign all of these petitions：http://wgapc.org/petitions/ and share with as many people as you can!
4. SHARE AND CARE!
Please join us on Facebook and share as much as you can to raise awareness for animals and activists in China!
Please please feel free to contact me if you have more ideas and resources. TOGETHER, we are going to fight harder and get stronger! -